Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Filipino Authors

One of the great Filipino Authors that I'd like to talk about is Jose Dalisay, Jr. I don't know him much, but he is familiar to me because of my old books back in elementary. His nickname is Butch. Butch means a baby boy name, a person with deep inner desire to create and express himself, and also a good public speaker, actor, singer, and writer.




Jose Dalisay, Jr. was born at January 15, 1954. He is currently 62 years old. According to Wikipedia, he won numerous awards for fiction, poetry, drama and etc. One of his great lecture is about "Teaching the Young Filipino Writer". He gave this lecture in UP Mindanao on December 13, 2013 to Creative Writing students. He said "Writing is more than a field of study, that it is an art and the loftiest of human endeavors that serves to enlighten the mind". I was surprised that he was a professor back then, teaching English subjects.



He achieved plenty of awards like, he won 16 Palanca awards in five genres and was elevated to the Palanca Hall of Fame in 2000. Palanca awards is one of the Philippines' longest-running awards program and is organized by Carlos Palanca Foundation.





Because of this, I was astonished about him that I would want to learn more about him and this could help me for all of my English subjects. I was able to read his few lectures and background. I relate to his topics. He is good at delivering and bringing students to their best. I can say that Jose Dalisay, Jr. is now my favorite writer and public speaker. To end this post, I'd like to share a sentence from his book. "Huwag kang magreklamo kung may ibang bagay kang kailangang isuko para sa katuparan ng iyong mga pangarap sa buhay, dahil may mga taong sarili mismong pangarap ang isinuko para lang mabuhay."

No comments:

Post a Comment